Creating a blog was out of the question for a long time for me, as measuring everything in the kitchen was like biting into an eggshell. I enjoy cooking and don’t want to waste even a slightest bit of enjoyment in that small world of mine. But little did I know that everything will change, when my husband came home with the Oscar nominated film ‘Julie and Julia’( a real life story) where Julie Powell (part played by Amy Adams) challenged herself to make all the 524 recipes from Julia Child's cook book ‘Mastering the Art of French Cooking’ and blogging all her experiences (The Julie/Julia Project). It was an inspiring movie. A few days later when we were discussing this casually with a friend of ours over tea…everything changed dramatically…..” How about you making at least half of it in one year? Not French but your own. 262 recipes that will inspire others and present it as a blog?” For a minute my mind traveled faster than light… With an experience as a helper in my mother in laws kitchen for 6 years followed by a three year everyday struggle to satisfy the palate of my foodie husband, if I cannot do it then why should I cook? But on the other side with an experience in English literature extending no more than expanding outline stories in English grammar class when I was 18 and two small kids that come in handy at times, will a commitment for the next one year work? Anyway my ‘cook's ego’ didn’t allow me to say no...

So my friends …here I am opening my recipe book, trying to perfect and present 262 recipes in the coming 365 days….A Challenge that will of course tastes good. Come.. Have a walk with me along my journey.. Cheering and inspiring….Forgiving and tolerating…Testing and tasting….for ‘A Tasty Challenge’

Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Mushroom Curry

Recipe No: 15

In old times back in Kerala, Mushrooms were not available throughout the year. So  during the season after breakfast my mother used to take a walk through our yards to see if there are any mushrooms growing. On holidays there will be one more person walking besides her…None other than me. On one of those days my mother showed me how to recognize bad poisonous Mushrooms from good edible ones. Put some turmeric on the suspicious Mushrooms!! The poisonous ones will turn black within minutes!! That was magic for me at that time…before me realizing the anti toxic power of Turmeric…
If we happen to find some Mushrooms during one of those walks, this delicious curry will be there on the table for lunch. The taste…it’s the celebration of all of the Kerala flavors!!!


Ingredients                                                 Serves 4
  • Mushrooms (Peeled, chopped into cubes, washed and squeezed)……2 cups
  • Coconut pieces (Thengakotthu)….3 Table spoons
  • Curry leaves………………………1 Sprig
  • Chilly powder…………………….1 Tea spoon
  • Coriander powder…………………2 Teaspoon
  • Garam Masala powder…………....1 Teaspoon
  • Turmeric powder………………....1 Teaspoon (Mushroom needs more turmeric)
  • Salt……………………………….. As per taste
  • Water……………………………...1/2 cup
  • Coconut milk……………………...1/3 cup
Ingredients for tempering
  • Coconut oil……………………….. 2 Tablespoon
  • Mustard seed………………………1/2 teaspoon
  • Dry red chilly………………………1
  • Shallots (kochulli) sliced…………..1/3 cup
  • Curry leaves………………………..1 sprig

Method of Preparation
  1. Peel, Wash and Squeeze the water out of the Mushrooms first.
  2. Combine Mushrooms, Coconut pieces, Curry leaves, Chilly powder, Coriander powder, Garam Masala powder, Turmeric powder, Salt and water together in a 'manchatti' (A cookware made of clay) or a pan and cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes or till cooked.
  3. When the mushrooms are done add coconut milk and wait till it boils along the sides. Off the stove and temper the dish.
  4. For tempering, heatcoconut oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and wait till it crackles.
  5. Add dry red chilly followed by shallots and curry leaves.
  6. When it is brown add this to the mushroom curry.
  7.  Close the pan (Chatti) and wait for 10 – 15 minutes. Stir it properly and serve warm with hot rice.




Make it, enjoy the deliciousness and 
serve it to your family with love….

0 comments:

Post a Comment