Creating a blog was out of the question for a long time for me, as measuring everything in the kitchen was like biting into an eggshell. I enjoy cooking and don’t want to waste even a slightest bit of enjoyment in that small world of mine. But little did I know that everything will change, when my husband came home with the Oscar nominated film ‘Julie and Julia’( a real life story) where Julie Powell (part played by Amy Adams) challenged herself to make all the 524 recipes from Julia Child's cook book ‘Mastering the Art of French Cooking’ and blogging all her experiences (The Julie/Julia Project). It was an inspiring movie. A few days later when we were discussing this casually with a friend of ours over tea…everything changed dramatically…..” How about you making at least half of it in one year? Not French but your own. 262 recipes that will inspire others and present it as a blog?” For a minute my mind traveled faster than light… With an experience as a helper in my mother in laws kitchen for 6 years followed by a three year everyday struggle to satisfy the palate of my foodie husband, if I cannot do it then why should I cook? But on the other side with an experience in English literature extending no more than expanding outline stories in English grammar class when I was 18 and two small kids that come in handy at times, will a commitment for the next one year work? Anyway my ‘cook's ego’ didn’t allow me to say no...

So my friends …here I am opening my recipe book, trying to perfect and present 262 recipes in the coming 365 days….A Challenge that will of course tastes good. Come.. Have a walk with me along my journey.. Cheering and inspiring….Forgiving and tolerating…Testing and tasting….for ‘A Tasty Challenge’

Search This Blog

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Chilly Beef

Recipe No: 121
We were cutting back on Beef for some time but still how much miserable life will be without occasional splurges… I used to make this very often one or two years back, so when I made it again after this long gap it was so demanding…and so I thought about sharing its recipe…
Ingredients                                                     Serves 6
To Pressure cook
  • Beef……………………………1/2 kg (Cut into thin long pieces approximately 2 ½ Cup)
  • Water…………………………1/2 Cup
  • Salt……………………….……1/2 Teaspoon
  • Pepper Powder…………...1/2 Teaspoon
To saute
  • Oil………………………….…..3 Tablespoons
  • Ginger chopped finely..…1/4 Cup
  • Garlic chopped finely…...1/4 Cup
  • Onion………………….……..1 ½ Cups (Sliced into slightly big long pieces, about the size of the beef)
  • Green Capsicum……….…1/2 Cups (also known as Bell Pepper;sliced into slightly big long pieces, about the size of the beef)
  • Green/ Spring Onion……6 no (Slice and separate the whites and the Greens)
  • Indian Green Chilly…..…4 big ones sliced
  • Dark Soy Sauce………..….1 ½ Tablespoon (I used Ching’s secret Dark Soy Sauce)
  • Corn Starch………………...1 ½ Teaspoons
  • Water………………….……..2 Tablespoons
  • Salt and Pepper as needed
Method of Preparation
  1. Pressure cook the ingredients mentioned in the ‘to Pressure cook’ section till the Beef is soft. 4 to 5 whistles will be enough.
  2. Once cooled separate the stock and the meat.
  3. Heat Oil in a wide pan on high heat, and add Ginger and Garlic and fry till the raw smell is gone for about 30 seconds. Take care not to burn.
  4. Add Onion, Capsicum, Green Chilly and Green Onion Whites and saute for 2 minutes or till the Onion is wilted.
  5. Add Beef and saute for a minute and then add Soy Sauce  and the stock that was reserved earlier and let it cook together till the water content is reduced.
  6. Dilute Corn Starch in Water and add this to the beef and mix till the gravy is thickened. Taste for Salt and Pepper and add more if needed.
  7. Add the Spring Onion greens; switch off the stove and serve hot.
Notes:
  • It is a must in this dish to use dark Soy (I used Ching’s Secret Dark Soy Sauce that are available in Indian stores) for both taste and color. Add extra Salt only at the end as Soy Sauce contains good amount of Salt.
  • The Vegetables should be still crisp when the dish is done. 
  • Its better to cut Beef, Onion and Capsicum  in the same size approximately.
  • If you want that usual red color of Chilly Beef do add a pinch of red food color together with the stock. 
  • Keep everything ready before sauteing as this dish will be ready in minutes.
  • I like this dish the most when served with Chinese Fried Rice.





Make it, enjoy the deliciousness and
serve it to your family with love...
 

1 comments:

Sarah Naveen said...

oh my!! one of my fav!!! looks so perfect and yummy!!

Post a Comment