Creating a blog was out of the question for a long time for me, as measuring everything in the kitchen was like biting into an eggshell. I enjoy cooking and don’t want to waste even a slightest bit of enjoyment in that small world of mine. But little did I know that everything will change, when my husband came home with the Oscar nominated film ‘Julie and Julia’( a real life story) where Julie Powell (part played by Amy Adams) challenged herself to make all the 524 recipes from Julia Child's cook book ‘Mastering the Art of French Cooking’ and blogging all her experiences (The Julie/Julia Project). It was an inspiring movie. A few days later when we were discussing this casually with a friend of ours over tea…everything changed dramatically…..” How about you making at least half of it in one year? Not French but your own. 262 recipes that will inspire others and present it as a blog?” For a minute my mind traveled faster than light… With an experience as a helper in my mother in laws kitchen for 6 years followed by a three year everyday struggle to satisfy the palate of my foodie husband, if I cannot do it then why should I cook? But on the other side with an experience in English literature extending no more than expanding outline stories in English grammar class when I was 18 and two small kids that come in handy at times, will a commitment for the next one year work? Anyway my ‘cook's ego’ didn’t allow me to say no...

So my friends …here I am opening my recipe book, trying to perfect and present 262 recipes in the coming 365 days….A Challenge that will of course tastes good. Come.. Have a walk with me along my journey.. Cheering and inspiring….Forgiving and tolerating…Testing and tasting….for ‘A Tasty Challenge’

Search This Blog

Friday, January 21, 2011

Bullseye Appam/ Egg on Appam/ Egg on Laced Rice Pancake

Recipe No: 297
My Mother in Law used to make this whenever she make Appam. But when I came to US, I came to know that this is a usual dish in Sri Lankan restaurants. I can’t call this a recipe, but only a recipe idea…
Ingredients
Method of Preparation
  1. Heat a Palappachatti (special pan to make laced  Rice Pancake) on medium low heat and pour the batter.
  2. Swirl the pan to make the signature lace; cover and let it cook till the Appam is almost done.
  3. Crack an Egg on top of the Appam, taking care not to break the Yolk.
  4. Sprinkle Salt and Pepper on top of the Egg; cover the pan and let the egg cook through. The Whites should be cooked thoroughly but the Yolks should be runny.
  5. Serve hot with or without a side dish.
Notes:
  • Don’t use more heat than mentioned in the recipe or it will make the lace brown fast.
  • I like the Egg Yolk runny, but you can cook it to the extend you want.
 




Make it, enjoy the deliciousness and 
serve it to your family with love…

2 comments:

Indian Khana said...

Looks gud ...it came out perfect

sojo said...

good idea.... I make dosa exactly the same way... Bulls eye dosa... or Omlette dosa...

Post a Comment