Creating a blog was out of the question for a long time for me, as measuring everything in the kitchen was like biting into an eggshell. I enjoy cooking and don’t want to waste even a slightest bit of enjoyment in that small world of mine. But little did I know that everything will change, when my husband came home with the Oscar nominated film ‘Julie and Julia’( a real life story) where Julie Powell (part played by Amy Adams) challenged herself to make all the 524 recipes from Julia Child's cook book ‘Mastering the Art of French Cooking’ and blogging all her experiences (The Julie/Julia Project). It was an inspiring movie. A few days later when we were discussing this casually with a friend of ours over tea…everything changed dramatically…..” How about you making at least half of it in one year? Not French but your own. 262 recipes that will inspire others and present it as a blog?” For a minute my mind traveled faster than light… With an experience as a helper in my mother in laws kitchen for 6 years followed by a three year everyday struggle to satisfy the palate of my foodie husband, if I cannot do it then why should I cook? But on the other side with an experience in English literature extending no more than expanding outline stories in English grammar class when I was 18 and two small kids that come in handy at times, will a commitment for the next one year work? Anyway my ‘cook's ego’ didn’t allow me to say no...

So my friends …here I am opening my recipe book, trying to perfect and present 262 recipes in the coming 365 days….A Challenge that will of course tastes good. Come.. Have a walk with me along my journey.. Cheering and inspiring….Forgiving and tolerating…Testing and tasting….for ‘A Tasty Challenge’

Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Palappam/ Kerala Laced Pancake with Appapodi/ Readymade Rice Flour for Appam

Recipe No: 298
A few days before a friend wrote as a comment on my original post on Palappam

"Any idea how to prepare the same with Nirapara Appam powder?"

I happened to have some Appapodi/ Rice Four for Appam with me at the time she wrote this comment and so I made some as soon as possible and it came perfectly well. The texture of this is a bit different from the one that I used to make with Raw Rice but this came very near to what my Mother used to make in the old days using freshly made Rice flour and Toddy/ Kallu.
So Hema, I think this will help you…
Ingredients                                          Makes 12-14 Appams
  • Appapodi…………………….1 heaping cup (I used standard US measuring cup)
  • Yeast………………………….1/2 Teaspoon
  • Sugar…………………………4-5 Teaspoons
  • Coconut Milk………….…..1 Cup (thick)
  • Water as needed
  • Salt as needed
For Kappi/ Rice Porridge
  • Rice Flour………………….2 Tablespoons
  • Water………………………..1/2 Cup
Method of Preparation
To make the Kappi
  1. Mix 2 tablespoons of Rice Flour with half cup Water, and then heat it on a medium low heat stirring continuously till thickened to a pasty consistency.
  2. Let it cool down.
    To make the Appam
    1. Dissolve Yeast in ¼ Cup lukewarm Water with 2 teaspoons of Sugar and let it sit covered till frothy for about 5 minutes.
    2. Mix together Rice Flour, Kappi/ Rice Porridge and the Yeast mixture and make a thick batter using enough Water.
    3. Let it sit covered in a warm place to ferment for about 6 hours.
    4. Once fermented (risen) add Coconut Milk, Salt and the rest of the Sugar; mix well and let it ferment for 1- 1 ½ hours more.
    5. Heat the Palappam pan and ladle batter into it; swirl it around to make the signature lace; cover the pan and cook it on medium low heat until it is cooked through. (Add more Water if the batter is too thick.)
    6. Serve warm with desired side dishes.
    Notes:
    • The Rice Flour mentioned in this recipe is specially made for making Appams. It is very fine and don’t just use any type of Rice Flour for this recipe. But you can use Rice Flour that is meant for making String Hoppers and Pathiri. This Rice Flour doesn't have Yeast or other added ingredients in it unlike the instant Appapodi.
    • The Yeast I used in this recipe is instant dried Yeast. 
    • Don’t add Salt during the first rising time, as it may retard the growth of the Yeast. Once the Yeast is in its full activity, add the Salt, that is, before the second rising period.
    • The time to ferment will depend on the temperature of the atmosphere. So check the batter to see whether it is rising. If it rises quickly, proceed with the further steps early or wait till it rises, if it is rising slowly.
    • As I wrote in my original post, the second rising period will keep the Appam soft, the second or the third time you are using the same batter.
    • Add more Sugar if you need.
    • Do read my original post (here) before trying this, as it may give you more details.
    • This recipe will make the process of making Appam easy, especially if you have time constraints (for soaking and grinding Raw Rice) for cooking.






      Make it, enjoy the deliciousness and 
      serve it to your family with love…

      7 comments:

      Sarah Naveen said...

      yummy!!!
      i always make this with instant podi now a days..so easy right?
      But instant appam podi has all kappi and all in it right? and do you need to add extra yeast also??

      Asha said...

      The Appam podi that I used can be used to make Idiyappam and Pathiri... As the powder don't show any signs of Yeast when you make Idiyappam or Pathiri with it, I think you definitely need Yeast with this kind of Flour. What kind of Appam podi do you use? May that will work without any of these...if so it will be a breeze...(I'll love that!!!)

      Subhie Arun said...

      yummy and easy appam..i neva tried making using instant podi..must try one!...lov appam

      thx for sharing....gald to follow u!

      http://subhieskitchen.blogspot.com/

      My Kitchen Antics said...

      this has been really helpful..im def giving it a go..

      Sathya said...

      Hi there u've got a good blog. I wonder How dint I not come across ur blog for so long. Just a doubt. I had prepared the batter using nirapa powder. I doubled the proportions and I doubled the yeast as well. The batter is sitting in my boiler room for almost 12 hours but it hasn't risen yet but the batter is bubbling and it has a smell. After how long can I add the coconut milk ?

      Asha said...

      As soon as possible.... Even if it is not risen, the bubbling action shows yeast activity and possibly it will rise once the Coconut Milk is added.. It will give a soft Appam

      Bitrecipes said...

      hi, Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, actually i have a question can i make this appam without yeast ?

      Post a Comment