Creating a blog was out of the question for a long time for me, as measuring everything in the kitchen was like biting into an eggshell. I enjoy cooking and don’t want to waste even a slightest bit of enjoyment in that small world of mine. But little did I know that everything will change, when my husband came home with the Oscar nominated film ‘Julie and Julia’( a real life story) where Julie Powell (part played by Amy Adams) challenged herself to make all the 524 recipes from Julia Child's cook book ‘Mastering the Art of French Cooking’ and blogging all her experiences (The Julie/Julia Project). It was an inspiring movie. A few days later when we were discussing this casually with a friend of ours over tea…everything changed dramatically…..” How about you making at least half of it in one year? Not French but your own. 262 recipes that will inspire others and present it as a blog?” For a minute my mind traveled faster than light… With an experience as a helper in my mother in laws kitchen for 6 years followed by a three year everyday struggle to satisfy the palate of my foodie husband, if I cannot do it then why should I cook? But on the other side with an experience in English literature extending no more than expanding outline stories in English grammar class when I was 18 and two small kids that come in handy at times, will a commitment for the next one year work? Anyway my ‘cook's ego’ didn’t allow me to say no...

So my friends …here I am opening my recipe book, trying to perfect and present 262 recipes in the coming 365 days….A Challenge that will of course tastes good. Come.. Have a walk with me along my journey.. Cheering and inspiring….Forgiving and tolerating…Testing and tasting….for ‘A Tasty Challenge’

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Pathiri (Rice Tortillas!!!)

Recipe No: 176
Making Pathiri used to be a challenge for me until one of my good friend, one I spend 7 years together in College hostel, moved to US. (She used to bring stacks of Pathiri  to our hostel  from her home, which we devoured so quietly that no one else around will know about it...well almost...except the smell of the Chicken Curry that accompanies,  attracted some). This dish used to be a staple at hers and I was very much interested in knowing how they make it. So willingly, she took charge as my ‘Pathiri Guru’ and even if it was ‘distant learning’ I think I grasped her pretty well. Now , after making it a few times, I am pretty comfortable in describing how to make it and I truly hope that I will make my ‘teacher’ proud with this posting…
Ingredients                                     Makes 8
For making Pathiri
  • Rice Flour/ Pathiri Podi……1 Cup
  • Water…………………………….1 ¼ Cup
  • Salt………………………………..1/3 Teaspoon
For making the tempered Coconut Milk
  • Coconut Oil…………………….1 Tablespoon
  • Shallots sliced…………………2
  • Coconut milk………………….3/4 Cup
Method of Preparation
To Make the Pathiri
  1. Boil Water with Salt on high heat. Once boiled, drop the Rice Flour steadily into the Water with one hand while mixing with the other hand.
  2. Once the Flour is dropped completely, mix it thoroughly; off the heat and leave it closed for a minute.
  3. Dump it into a wide plate and when cooled enough to handle, knead it really good to make the dough smooth.
  4. Divide it into 8 equal portions.
  5. Roll out each portion as thin as possible. About an 8 inch circle will be good.
  6. Place the rolled Pathiri  on a hot pan/ thawa on medium heat and cook one side.
  7. Turn it over and let the other side also cook.
  8. Turn it once more and press the top with a spatula. This will make the Pathiri puff up. (Don’t let it brown)
  9. Once cooked and puffed, take it from the pan and let it cool on a parchment paper.
  10. Once cooled, stack it up and cover with a foil and keep aside till ready to be used.
To make the tempered Coconut Milk
  1. Heat Coconut Oil in a  pan and saute the sliced Shallots.
  2. Once the Shallots are golden brown, add the Coconut Milk; let it warm up  and switch off the heat.
To Assemble and Serve Pathiri
  1. When ready to be served, dip the Pathiri in the tempered Coconut Milk for a couple of seconds and serve.
Notes:
  • Rice Flour for making Pathiri is very fine and it is easily available in most of the Indian stores (Pathiri/ Appam/ String Hopper/ Idiyappam Podi can be used).
  • If you drop the whole Flour at once into the boiling Water, there are chances that some Flour may not combine well, so adding Flour slowly while whisking at the same time works better.
  • There are chances for the dough balls to dry out. So when you take one portion to roll , knead it a bit to make it more pliable.
  • If you want a perfect circle, cut out circles from the rolled out dough with the help of a plate. Knead the scraps together to make more. But I found that the Pathiri made from the rolled out scraps is a bit harder than the others. So I prefer not to cut  the sides. Some irregularity along the sides won't hurt, after all it is homemade!!!
  • Don’t let the Pathiri brown while cooking.
  • Once dipped in Coconut Milk, don’t keep Pathiri for long as Coconut Milk makes them soggy. So dip it in Coconut Milk only just before serving.
  • You can make the Pathiri 4-6 hours in advance, but dip in warm Coconut Milk before serving (so that the dish will be warm when served).






Make it, enjoy the deliciousness and
serve it to your family with love...

0 comments:

Post a Comment