Creating a blog was out of the question for a long time for me, as measuring everything in the kitchen was like biting into an eggshell. I enjoy cooking and don’t want to waste even a slightest bit of enjoyment in that small world of mine. But little did I know that everything will change, when my husband came home with the Oscar nominated film ‘Julie and Julia’( a real life story) where Julie Powell (part played by Amy Adams) challenged herself to make all the 524 recipes from Julia Child's cook book ‘Mastering the Art of French Cooking’ and blogging all her experiences (The Julie/Julia Project). It was an inspiring movie. A few days later when we were discussing this casually with a friend of ours over tea…everything changed dramatically…..” How about you making at least half of it in one year? Not French but your own. 262 recipes that will inspire others and present it as a blog?” For a minute my mind traveled faster than light… With an experience as a helper in my mother in laws kitchen for 6 years followed by a three year everyday struggle to satisfy the palate of my foodie husband, if I cannot do it then why should I cook? But on the other side with an experience in English literature extending no more than expanding outline stories in English grammar class when I was 18 and two small kids that come in handy at times, will a commitment for the next one year work? Anyway my ‘cook's ego’ didn’t allow me to say no...

So my friends …here I am opening my recipe book, trying to perfect and present 262 recipes in the coming 365 days….A Challenge that will of course tastes good. Come.. Have a walk with me along my journey.. Cheering and inspiring….Forgiving and tolerating…Testing and tasting….for ‘A Tasty Challenge’

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Caramel filled Chocolate Truffle

Recipe No: 219
Whenever I eat a gourmet Chocolate, I have this strong urge to replicate it; but I should admit that I don't know much about Chocolate art. I was all set to study it in LA but unfortunately we moved to Indiana and that dream of mine stays as such even now. Then what triggered me to attempt this? Well, it was a blogger friend of mine, Sojo of ‘My Culinary Experiments’ who encouraged me to give it a try. While chatting with her, I came to know that she is a big Caramel fan and so are me and my daughter.  Here is the result of my first attempt with Chocolate truffle… with a Carmel filling (I know the pictures are a bit messy, please forgive…) and hopefully I will be able to come up with better ones later…
Ingredients                                       Makes 12- 15
For the Chocolate
  • Semisweet Chocolate chips…3/4 Cup
  • Butter……………………………….4 Tablespoons
  • Instant Coffee Powder……….1/3 Teaspoon
  • Vanilla Essence…………………1/2 Teaspoon
For the Caramel Filling
  • Sugar………………………………..1/2 Cup
  • Water……………………………....2 Tablespoons
  • Heavy Cream…………………….1/4 Cup
  • A pinch of Salt
Method of Preparation
To make the Caramel Filling
  1. Heat Sugar, Salt and Water on medium low heat until it attains a golden brown color. Don’t stir (it will make the Caramel gritty), but do swirl the pan.
  2. Once the Sugar reaches a golden brown color, off the heat and pour the heavy Cream. (It will bubble vigorously so be careful when you do this.)
  3. Mix it  so that the Sugar dissolves well. Let it cool down completely.
  4. Take a Ziploc bag and pour the Caramel into it; snip the edge of the bag when ready to be used so that you can squeeze the Carmel through the hole.
To make the Chocolate
  1.  In a double boiler (Put Chocolate in a small bowl placed over a large pot of simmering Water so that the bottom of the Bowl with Chocolate is not touching the simmering Water), melt Chocolate chips, Coffee Powder and Butter.
  2. Take the Chocolate from the double boiler and stir it thoroughly with Vanilla Essence until smooth and shiny.
    To make the Truffle
    1. Chill a Truffle/ Candy mold in the refrigerator for 45 minutes or in the Freezer for 20 minutes.
    2. Pour the Chocolate into the chilled mold and tap it a few times on the counter to get rid of air bubbles. (Reserve the excess Chocolate for later use.)
    3. Scrape off the excess Chocolate from the top of the mold (I was not able to do it as the sides of the mold was a bit raised) and keep it back in the refrigerator for 5- 8 minutes or till the bottom and sides of the Chocolate are set but the middle is still loose.
    4. Take the mold out of the fridge and tilt it so that the loose Chocolate from the middle flows out leaving a small well in the middle of each Truffle.
    5. Squeeze some Caramel from the bag into the well in the middle of the Truffle and let it set in the fridge for 10 minutes.
    6. Melt the left over Chocolate mixture once more and pour over the Caramel filled Truffle so that the Caramel is covered with the Chocolate.
    7. Scrape off the excess Chocolate from the top and tap it to get rid of the air bubbles (if any).
    8. Let it chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before taking it out of the mold.
    9. Serve it chilled or at room temperature.
    Notes:
    • The Caramel filling should be completely cooled before filling the Chocolate shell , otherwise it will melt the shell.
    • Increase the amount of Heavy Cream to half cup while making the Carmel and you will  get a delicious Caramel syrup to top Ice creams.
    • You can melt the Chocolate in the microwave, but do stop and stir every 20 seconds.
    • Don't use high heat to melt the Chocolate. It will result in scorching of the Chocolate which is irreversible.
    • The Chocolate that you pour over the Caramel filling should be slightly warm so that it can combine and become one with the already made Chocolate shell. But it shouldn’t be very hot or it will start to melt the Caramel and the Chocolate shell.
    • Don't Butter the Mold before filling the Chocolate as it will prevent Chocolate from sticking onto the mold.
    • If you find it hard to get the Chocolate out of the mold, do help it out with a pointed knife or needle.





    Make it, enjoy the deliciousness and
    serve it to your family with love…

    7 comments:

    sojo said...

    O....M.....G (READ IT JANICE STYLE) Asha, I dont know what to say..... I dont think I can do this... its amazing...and who said the pics are messy... it looks lovely..... THANKS A MILLION.... My My.... U dont have to go and learn anything.... U start a school and I will be ur first student!!!! U R SOOOOOOO AMAZING!!!!

    Priya Suresh said...

    Omg, feel like having some truffles rite now, they looks super irresistible and pretty..

    Vimitha Durai said...

    OMG Those are perfectly made truffles and you have put in a lot of effort for this... Kudos to that...

    Reshmi Mahesh said...

    Superb..worth for all the efforts...Great work dear...

    FunWidFud

    Indian Khana said...

    WOW ...this looks so so tempting ....gud going dear

    My Kitchen Antics said...

    wow im super impressed..i wish i had the patience though :(

    jibberjabberwocky said...

    Thanks for the recipe, just wondering if you know what temperature you heat the sugar to before adding the cream. Firm ball stage? Hard ball?

    Post a Comment